When I started my second company, even though it was just me, I thought it important to develop a set of guiding principles that I wanted the company to be known more. The thought was what better time when it was just me to start writing these down.
I was probably avoiding having to write and test more software but it was a fun exercise to see what I wanted it to be. It doesn’t need to be a complicated exercise that takes an insurmountable time, but when done early, on paper, all of a sudden you have something to throw up on your wall, on the door to the building, as a placemat in the eating area or on a mouse pad for someone, everyone, to remind themselves of on a daily basis.
Here they were – simple, with many meanings behind them.
- We Imagine, We Deliver
- Managers need not Apply
- Nothing takes Two Minutes
- Beam me up Scottie!
- Make it Simple. Make it Stable. Make it Sexy.
- Start at the End, work backwards, find the Best Laid Plan
- Find solutions where you least expect it
- Release the Kraken… sometimes
- Be more like Halo, be less like Halo 2
- Fall down 7 times, Stand up 8
That’s it, that’s all, no mammoth documentation required, just the will to live and breath something.