If you lead a team and have not gone with your team on any of the following;
- Customer Meeting
- On-Site Deployment
- Sales Presentation
Something, anything, where you and members of your team worked hard towards a common goal that is now resulting in a trip somewhere.
You owe it to them to find a way to get them there with you for any and all of the reasons below (choose whichever ones help);
- Watch what a developer does when asked a tough sales question
- Stay up late and fix a customer’s system
- Wake up early to setup your booth for the upcoming day
- All try to leave the hotel on time to get to your temporary office for the day
- Put together a quick presentation for the CEO in 15 minutes
- Go get lunch at the local dive and see what hilarity ensures
- Let the Product Owner answer a question on cloud deployment topologies
These aren’t for laughs – these all build experience, connectivity, knowledge and trust within your team – and sometimes the only place to get that is on the road, at the airport, waiting for your already delayed flight to take off.
Want more? Check out my book Code Your Way Up – available as an eBook or Paperback on Amazon (CAN and US). I’m also the co-host of the Remotely Prepared podcast.