We use estimations to determine when we are delivering work, what needs to be done, and why.
What often gets missed is understanding what the expectations are for the estimations that are being given.
What is it exactly that people are looking for? (And why?)
A few answers;
- How well do you understand the problem?
- How confident are you in what you are delivering?
- Are you building the right thing?
- Have you thought of “other stuff”?
- Who needs to see this estimate?
- Why do they need to see it?
- Does this line up with what is being asked?
You’ll never get it perfect, that’s not the goal.
No one is ever looking for perfect with estimates, they are looking for close.
Give us close.