Team growth is not about scaling out, it’s about scaling up.
It’s about getting smarter, faster and better.
It’s about raising your team’s game from where it is, to where you know it can be without trying to wring out blood from a stone (i.e., it’s not about extra hours).
Before you post that next job posting to grow your team, ask yourself the following questions;
- Are we doing things as best as we can?
- What can we do with what we have?
- What is holding us back?
- What tools or training would help us scale up faster?
- What should we not be doing that we are currently doing?
- Where is my focus as a leader?
In our quest to have a team where someone is doing everything and covering all the angles, we often forget the inherent cost and risk that comes with bringing a new team member into the fold – what if they don’t work out, what if there is a conflict with another member, what if, what if, what if.
At some point you will need to scale out, but before you do look up and see what can be done first.